For my PRCA 3030, we were asked to read a PR trade book and then create a slidecast for the book that we chose. I chose Full Frontal PR by Richard Laermer. Below is my PowerPoint with Audio slidecast. If you visit SlideShare, you will be able to see my notes with each slide.
PR Research Final Exam December 7, 2009
As the semester slowly but surely is coming to an end, I always like to look back to see what I have learned in each one of my classes. For my PR Research final in Barbara Nixon’s class, I will make a list of the five most important things that PR students need to know about conducting research. All of the things that I will mention in my list, are topics and points that I learned and experienced in my PR Research class.
- In PR research of any kind, the researcher must know and follow the PRSA Code of Ethics. When conducting surveys, interviewing people, collecting data, etc. it is always important to treat every person who participates honest and fair. It is also important to keep the data that you collect confidential, and to educate the volunteer participants about what you will be researching for. In my opinion this is one of the most important aspects of conducting research. The more people respect you and know of your own personal ethics, the better chance you have of getting people to participate.
2. HOW TO WORK WITH A GROUP
- In any class or work situation, it is always beneficial to know and understand how to work well with a group. There is a great amount of research that is conducted as a group, and you have to be able to cater to everyone’s positive traits and downplay their negative traits. When submitting a research project, make sure to read over, check, and examine the entire project multiple times before turning it in. People are always going to make mistakes, but if you re-read and examine the group’s project, you have a better chance of catching these mistakes and changing them.
- This might sound pretty simple, but there is a lot behind the meaning of this word. When given a project, it is so important to fully research every aspect of the topic you wish to research. The more you know about your topic, the better prepared you will be when it comes time to conduct your research and finalize your project.
- One of the most beneficial things I learned in my research class was how to conduct a survey. When you are sending out a survey, make sure to include detailed information about what the survey is about. The more information you have and the more appealing the format of the survey is, the more people you will have that will take the time to fill it out. If the participants see that you have taken your time to conduct this research and make the survey, they will be more likely to help you with the information that you need.
5. CITING IS KEY
- Make sure to ALWAYS cite your work in a research project, or with any project that you are given. Whatever style your professor, boss, co-worker, etc. asks you to go by, make sure and adhere to the rules of that certain style. If you fail to cite your work there could be severe consequences, and you could potentially be charged with plagiarism.
These are just a few of the points that I learned and found extremely important when conducting research. I learned a lot and experienced many things in this class that I believe will only benefit me as a PR Professional.
Pictures may be found at the following sites:
PR in the Miss USA pagaent April 22, 2009
Over the past couple of days, the Miss USA pagaent has been ALL over the news. Not necessarily because of the winner, Miss North Carolina, but because of the 1st runner up, Miss California. When asked if she thinks that same-sex marriage should be allowed in all states, Miss California said that because of her beliefs and the way she was raised, she believes a marriage should be between a man and a woman. The pagaent was supposidly outraged by her answer, and they did some major PR work. It was all over the news and internet that the California sponsors felt “betrayed” by Miss California and they could not believe her answer.
This, in my opinion, was a very bad move from the PR department of Miss California and Miss USA. When asked a question in the Miss USA pagaent, you are supposed to give your HONEST opinion. Now, they are criticizing her for doing just that. What they don’t understand is, that is the view of the majority of the people in the United States and even Barack Obama doesn’t believe same-sex marriage should be legalized, he believes in civil unions! The pagaent needs more people like Miss California who will speak the truth and will not put her morals asside to win a contest. I think the PR team for Miss USA will eventually regret their decision in going against Miss California because they had no right to.
PR and Twitter April 21, 2009
Ever since I have started to use twitter, I feel like I hear more and more about it on the news. Every one seems to have a twitter now! CEOs of companies, celebrities, teachers, etc. all are twittering. Yesterday, my roommate told me she wanted a twitter, so I set her up an account and I am trying to teach her how to use it. It is a great social networking tool, and twitter is also great for PR connections. You can meet so many people through twitter and find out so much news about the PR world. I wonder if in the future, you will have to pay to use twitter or if there will start to be advertising on the site. I am excited that I got to know how to use it now because it will be a good tool to have in the future.
I am really excited about the weather. It has been so cold for a while, and it is finally starting to feel good outside again. Now if I can only make it through the week! I have so many papers to write, and it is very stressful. I am excited for the weekend though. I have to go home again to go to the doctor, but I will be doing a lot of fun things. My dad’s company picnic is Saturday at Stone Mountain, so I am excited to get to spend some time with my family and enjoy the outdoors. Next week will be a rough week on me with all of my papers and exams, so I am going to try and have a relaxing weekend. I can’t believe there is only 3 more weeks of school until I am a senior in college! Time sure does fly by…