1. What did I learn?
- How important search engines are and how MANY searches there are.
- There are two primary visible tactics: paid search and optimized search.
- Two new types of search engine visibility disciplines that are emerging and that are in the PR professional’s domain are: reputational search and social search.
- Networked relationships are important, “If quality content is the king of search engine visibility, then the link, which is
increasingly earned through social relationships, is the queen.”
- PR professionals can find out how people search by using different tools like: Wordtracker and Google Insights.
- The five steps for being more visible online are research, teamwork, planning, experimentation, and benevolence.
2. What surprised me?
- Google record 7.23 BILLION searches as of 2008 (so I am sure there are many more now).
- Many news organizations, companies, businesses, etc. ask search engines, like Google, for favorable positioning.
- Many opportunities can come from you (or your company) being visible in the online community.
- Now, more than ever, it is important to have a good image online and to be visible to people who wish to find you.
3. What do I want to know more about?
- I know that companies or people can ask for “favorable positioning” on various search engines, but I think it would be interesting to find out how they go about doing that and “winning” that favorable spot.
- How search engines record the number of searches or “clicks” that occur every day.
- Google has become even more popular within the past couple of years. If there was a recorded 7.23 billion searches in 2008, how many have been recorded as of 2010?
This paper was an interesting way to look at search engines and there importance in today’s world. Many companies rely on their image and marketing online to see how people view their company and how many customers they potentially have. The paper and its elements helped me to realize the importance of search engines and various online tools.