The following notes are from the textbook Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies by Charlene Li and Josh Bernoff.
Ch. 10- How Connecting with the Groundswell Transforms Your Company
- How to incorporate the three elements of groundswell thinking into your organization:
- Take small steps that have big impact
- Have a vision and a plan
- Build leaders into the plan
- Case Study on Dell: What can you learn from them?
- It took a crisis or two to get Dell started
- Dell Mastered one thing at a time, starting with listening
- Executive push and cover made the difference
- Authenticity was crucial
- How can organizations prepare for a transformation?
- Start Small
- Educate your executives
- Get the right people to run your strategy
- Get your agency and technology partners in sync
- Plan for the next step and for the long term
Ch. 11- The Groundswell Inside Your Company
- How to tap the groundswell inside your company- the bigger the company is, the more of a problem internal communication becomes
- Three case studies on internal groundswell applications: the community at Best Buy, wikis at Avenue A/Razorfish, Organic, and Intel, and an idea exchange at Bell Canada
- Key Point: Culture and Relationships TRUMP Technologies!
Ch. 12- The Future of the Groundswell
- Groundswell technologies are “exploding” because they are CHEAP and EASY to create and improve
- How to attain groundswell thinking? Develop the right attitude
- Never forget that the groundswell is about person-to-person activity
- Be a good listener
- Be patient
- Be opportunistic
- Be flexible
- Be collaborative
- Be humble 🙂
These seven are the principles of groundswell thinking… “Aspire to these qualities, and you can use the strategies we’ve laid out to your advantage- or invent your own.”